Purpose: Engage learners more deeply into the Everything DiSC styles. Improve communication among colleagues.
Prerequisite: Introduction to general DiSC concepts and knowledge of their own style
Materials: Something to record responses: white board, easel pad, paper
Time: 40 -45 minutes
15 minutes for group discussion, 20 minutes to share with larger group, 5 minutes for group discussion/reflection
Note: While this activity is based around email, if your organization uses Slack or another communication tool, you can alter the questions to address communication through that tool.
- Separate your group into the four DiSC styles.
- Ask the question: What’s your experience with your email inbox? One person should record the group’s answers, either in words or by drawing them so they can share them with the entire group.
Use these prompts. You can post them or share them aloud, asking just a few at a time.
- How often do you check your email? How often would you like to check it?
- What’s in your signature?
- What type of emails do you respond to immediately? Who are they from? What’s in the subject line? How are they constructed?
- What’s an example of a great subject line?
- What type of emails do you usually ignore or delay responding to?
- What types of emails cause you stress?
- How do I usually respond to emails?
- How often do you proofread your emails?
- How do you feel about emoticons in work emails?
- How often do you have any empty Inbox?
- Consider an email that muddled communication. How did you contribute to that confusion?
- When would you rather have a phone call, a video chat, or personal visit rather than an email?
If there is time, you can ask them to answer the same questions regarding their motivation at home or to discuss what demotivates them at work.
- Ask each group to share their results with the group
- How does one’s DiSC style affect how they use email? Do you think you could tell a person’s DiSC style after receiving a handful of emails from them? Discuss what you have learned about how to work better with each other. How can you improve your email communication?
A related activity: Emails by DiSC® priority